Built in 1926 near the up-and-coming town center, this home is one of Kensington's originals built by the famed architect William Raymond Yelland. Yelland not only built this house but actually called it "home" with his family until he moved to Milan, Italy in the 1950's. This 4 bedroom 2 bath home graced the "Kensington Park" subdivision featuring the Arlington cable car line that once connected Berkeley to this newly developing area. Situated on a rare double lot, this home has many original elements that have been thoughtfully restored, enhanced and brought back to their earliest grandeur.
Highlights of this restoration include; a new gourmet kitchen with stainless appliances and honed marble countertops, new laundry room, refinished original oak and straight fir flooring, and updated well-appointed baths. Original detailing including; impressive hand carved corbels at the entry, window seating, built-in cabinetwork and crown moldings are restored and returned to their original state.
The floor plan has been updated to create a more modern flow between living areas and once "dark and choppy" spaces are opened up to create a greater sense of light and atmosphere. Finally, a new roof, new firebox, and complete seismic retrofit further enhance this homes energy efficiency and security.
All has been accomplished in true Bee Renovated style and blends the best of the past with modern design standards and conveniences of today.